Environmental Open House
Come visit Rutgers School of Environmental and Biological Sciences for our Environmental Open House on Friday,November 9, 2018, from 8 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. in the Cook Student Center, (59 Biel Road, New Brunswick, NJ 08901). Explore our many majors related to agriculture, health, and the environment. Meet our students and faculty, and discover the quality academic and student life programs available to you.
Represented at this event will be the following academic departments: Agriculture and Food Systems; Animal Sciences/Pre-veterinary; Biochemistry; Bioenvironmental Engineering (5 Yr.); Biotechnology; Ecology, Evolution and Natural Resources; Entomology; Environmental and Business Economics; Environmental Planning and Design; Environmental Policy, Institutions, and Behavior; Environmental Sciences; Food Science; Landscape Architecture; Marine Sciences; Meteorology; Microbiology; Nutritional Science; and Plant Biology/Turfgrass Management.
Special sessions will also be offered on "Transferring into Rutgers SEBS," "Scholarships, Honors Programs, and Financial Aid at Rutgers SEBS," and the "Educational Opportunity Fund."
Schedule of Events
|8:30–8:45 am||Welcome and Program Overview - Cook Student Center, Multipurpose Room BC|
|8:45–9:30 am||Transferring into Rutgers SEBS - Cook Student Center, G. H. Cook Rm.|
|8:45–9:30 a.m.||Your First Year at Rutgers SEBS - Cook Student Center, Multipurpose Room BC|
|10–10:45 a.m.||Presentation Session I (See below)|
|11–11:45 a.m.||Presentation Session II (See Below)|
|11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.||Rutgers Student Services and Club Fair/Light Lunch|
|12 Noon – 12:45 p.m.||Scholarships, Honors, and Financial Aid|
|12:45–1:30 p.m.||Educational Opportunity Fund|
|1:30–2:15 p.m.||Presentation Session III (See Below)|
Presentation Session I (10–10:45 a.m.):
- Agriculture and Food Systems/Plant Biology/Turfgrass - Dr. Xenia Morin and Dr. Ann Gould - Cook Student Center, Rm. 202AB
- Animal Sciences / Pre-veterinary / Equine - Dr. Aparna Zama - Cook Student Center, Multipurpose Room BC
- Ecology, Evolution, and Natural Resources - Dr. Suzanne Sukhdeo - Cook Student Center, G. H. Cook Rm.
- Environmental Planning and Design / Environmental Geomatics / Landscape Architecture (includes Landscape Architecture Studio Tour) - Dr. Holly Nelson – Blake Hall, Rm. 148
- Food Science - Dr. Chitra Ponnusamy – Food Science and Nutritional Sciences Building West, Rm. 101
- Microbiology - Dr. Costantino Vetriani – Cook Student Center, Rm. 202C
- TOUR: Short Campus Tour (Dining Hall, Foran Hall, Chang Library, Recreation Center, Dormitory) - Meet in front of the Cook Student Center
- TOUR: RU-TV Weather Watcher Studio Tour - Meet in the café of the Cook Student Center
Presentation Session II (11–11:45 a.m.)
- Biotechnology - Dr. Paul Meers – Foran Hall, Room 138A
- Environmental and Business Economics - Dr. Isaac Vellanghany - Cook Student Center, Rm. 202C
- Environmental Sciences - Dr. Jeffra Schaefer – Cook Student Center, Multipurpose Room BC
- Marine Science - Dr. Gary Taghon – Cook Student Center, G. H. Cook Room
- Meteorology – Dr. Steven Decker – Cook Student Center, Rm. 202AB
- Nutritional Science - Dr. John Worobey – Davidson Hall, Room 216
- TOUR: Short Campus Tour (Dining Hall, Foran/Chang Library, Recreation Center, Dormitory) - Meet in front of the Cook Student Center
- TOUR: Cook Farm Tour - Meet in front of the Cook Student Center
- TOUR: Floriculture Greenhouse - Meet in front of Blake Hall on Read Oak Lane
Admissions, Transfer, Financial Aid, and EOF Representative Tables (10 a.m. – 12 Noon)
- Speak with the SEBS Assistant Dean for Transfer Students, Rutgers Admissions Counselor, Rutgers Financial Aid, or the Educational Opportunity Fund Representative – Cook Student Center, Merle V. Adams Rm.
Rutgers Service and Club Fair and Light lunch (11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.)
- Rutgers Student Student Clubs and Service Departments - Cook Student Center, Atrium and Multipurpose Room A
Lunch Panel Sessions: Feel free to bring your lunch to thtese sessions
Scholarships, Honors Programs, and Financial Aid at Rutgers SEBS (12 Noon – 12:45 p.m.)
Cook Student Center, Multipurpose Room ABC
- SEBS General Honors Program, Rutgers Honors College, SEBS Scholarships, and Financing Your Rutgers education.
Educational Opportunity Fund (12:45–1:30 p.m.)
Cook Student Center, G. H. Cook Rm.
- Student Access and Educational Equity – programs for access, support, and success. Feel free to bring your lunch to this session on the programs and support services offered through the Rutgers SEBS Educational Opportunity Fund.
Presentation Session III (1:30–2:15 p.m.)
- Bioechemistry - Dr. Lori White - Cook Student Center, Multipurpose Room BC
- Bioenvironmental Engineering (5Yr BS/BS) - Dr. A. J. Both - Cook Student Center, G. H. Cook Rm.
- Environmental Policy, Institutions, and Behaviors - Dr. Karen O'Neill - Cook Student Center, Rm. 202C
- Entomology – Dr. Changlu Wang - Cook Student Center, Rm. 202AB
- TOUR: Oceanography Learning Community/Marine Science - Meet in the Marine Science Building
Special Tours and Panels
Nicholas Dormitory First-Year Hall Tours (10 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.)
- Drop in anytime! Residents and Residence Life staff will be present to coordinate room tours and answer any questions students or parents may have.
RU-TV Weather Watcher Studio Tour - Perry Hall (10 –10:45 a.m.)
- If you are interested in weather and science communication, and/or video production, this is the tour for you! Learn about an opportunity to live and work with a group of students to produce daily weather forecasts and longer science journalism shows for the university's television network. Visit our professional television studio! Leaves from the Cook Café in the Cook Student Center.
Floriculture Greenhouse Tour (11 a.m. – 12 Noon)
- Walk the greenhouses on Red Oak Lane. See our collection of unique and rare plants! The poinsettia trials are coming into color and the teaching collection is looking handsome in the fall sunlight.
Cook Farm Tours (11 a.m. – 12 Noon)
- Meet the herd. Learn about Ag Field Day, hands-on experiences, and research opportunities, and interact with current Animal Science majors. A tour group will leave for the farm from in front of the Cook Student Center at 10:50 a.m. or meet at the College Farm on Sheepfold Lane.
G. H. Cook Campus Brief Walking Tours (10 a.m., 11 a.m., or 1:45 p.m.)
- Short-format walking tours of the G. H. Cook Campus. Visit a dormitory, Foran Hall/Chang Library, Neilson Dining Hall, and the Recreation Center. Begins at Cook Student Center – Front Hall
Oceanography Learning Community/Marine Science Tour (1:45–2:30 p.m.)
- Visit the C.O.O.L Room (Coastal Oceanographic Observation Lab), Flume Lab and hear about the Oceanography House and RU Glider Project. Meet at the Marine Science Building.
For more information, contact the SEBS Office of Academic Programs at 848-932-3000.