Rutgers logo
School of Environmental and Biological Sciences
Rutgers logo
School of Environmental and Biological Sciences

Transfer Student Admissions

Welcome to the Rutgers School of Environmental and Biological Sciences! This site has been designed to provide prospective transfer students with information about our programs and answer some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the transfer process. In addition, we encourage you to visit our campus by scheduling one of our Tour and Information Sessions or contact the undergraduate program director within your field of interest. The Office of Academic Programs (848-932-3000) is also available to assist you.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • You are considered a transfer student if you are a high school graduate who has completed a minimum of 12 transferable academic credits after high school graduation by the time of application.

  • The priority application deadline for the Spring Semester is October 1, and for the Fall Semester is February 1. For an application go to

    1. A completed undergraduate application form at
    2. The $70 application fee.
    3. Your official high school transcript(s), including grades for all courses, are required for students who have earned less than 24 college-level academic credits.
    4. Your official college transcript(s) for all colleges attended.
    5. Test scores, as follows:
      • Official SAT (code: 2765) or ACT (code: 2592) scores sent directly from the appropriate testing agency to Rutgers (only if you completed high school less than two years ago and will have completed fewer than 12 college credits by the priority application due date).
      • An official TOEFL score is required for applicants whose secondary schooling has been outside the US in a country where English is not the principal language, regardless of US residency status. Students who have achieved a grade of B or better in a college-level English Composition course in residence at an accredited US college (not a foreign affiliate) are exempt from the TOEFL requirement. English courses that are designated ESL, non-native, or which require a special support component, as well as courses taken outside the US, are not acceptable. Please also note that Rutgers University does not accept any correspondence courses. For additional information regarding TOEFL, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
  • The Rutgers University Office of Undergraduate Admissions will review all your credentials and will make an evaluation based on the information you provide. Special attention will be given to your college transcripts.

  • Credit from an accredited college or university will be evaluated by the Office of Academic Programs to determine requirements satisfied. Transfer credit is granted for coursework with a grade of "C" (2.000) or better completed at an accredited college or university.

  • Grades for transfer courses are not included in the student's cumulative grade point average at Rutgers University.

  • Students who have completed a 4-credit Calculus I course (grade "C" or better) or have completed an approved prerequisite math course at an accredited college or university will not have to take a placement test. All others are required to take a Rutgers Math Department Placement Test. Math courses completed at schools outside of New Jersey must be evaluated by the Rutgers Department of Mathematics. Go to the math department's transfer students page and follow appropriate links for course evaluation.

    Students who have completed at least one semester of an equivalent English Composition/Expository Writing I course at an accredited college or university (grade "C" or better) will not have to take an English placement test. All others are required to take an English placement test administered by the Rutgers Writing Program. Transfer students entering Rutgers without an equivalent level I English writing course must complete the English placement test for Transfer Students. Note: Students with SAT Critical Reading/Evidence-Based Reading and Writing scores of 650 or higher will automatically be placed in Expository Writing I 01:355:101 and are not required to complete the English portions of the placement tests.

    Further Transfer Student information is available at Testing & Placement.

  • Eligible transfers must have successfully completed a minimum of 12 credits since obtaining a high school diploma. A maximum number of credits eligible for transfer, beginning Fall 2019, is 60 for community college students and 90 from a 4-year institution. The maximum number of credits transferred is based upon the last institution attended.

  • A minimum of 120 credits is required for completion of your degree at our school. Depending on the total credits that are transferred and the program of study you pursue, you may graduate with more than 120 credits.

  • For on-campus housing visit and for off-campus information visit

  • If you are a commuter, you will be guaranteed parking at a designated area on campus. All others must apply for permission. For further information and forms visit

  • Advanced Placement (AP) scores of 4 and 5 will be considered for academic credit. It is the student's responsibility to submit a copy of their AP scores to the Office of Academic Programs directly from the College Board. AP credits are not included in the GPA.

    Degree credit for International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level will be awarded for scores of 7, 6 & 5. Credit is not awarded for grade of 4 or lower or for Standard Level exams. IB credits are not included in GPA.

  • We strongly encourage prospective transfer students to attend a Tour and Information Session where many of your questions will be answered. For further questions, contact the Office of Academic Programs ( or 848-932-3000) or the Undergraduate Program Director of your major (degree program) interest.