The 2023–2024 Helyar House Application is now available!
Helyar House is a unique alternative within Rutgers University's housing structure located on the George H. Cook Campus. It is a cooperative living community, where members have a greater responsibility for self-government than in traditional residence halls. In a supportive living environment, each house member works together on daily house chores including cooking and cleaning to achieve common cooperative living goals. The cooperative nature of Helyar House provides residents with a foundation to achieve a high level of self-reliance, as well as interpersonal, conflict resolution, and leadership skills.
To be eligible, you must be officially admitted into the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences by the Rutgers Undergraduate Admissions and possess financial need. Incoming first-year and transfer students can apply for Fall 2023.
Helyar House is supervised and staffed by a Rutgers resident counselor and students abide by the rules and regulations of Rutgers housing.
Additionally, all students will have valuable learning opportunities to participate in community service, internships/research experiences related to your academic major, and greenhouse research projects for academic credit.
Along with these many advantages of cooperative living, Helyar House residents are awarded scholarships and receive additional savings including:
- $2,800 Scholarship/Housing Rebate Toward Tuition ($2,300 Scholarship and $500 Housing Rebate)
- $1,090 Housing Savings (Cook Apartment payment $8,334 as compared to Helyar House payment of $7,244)
- $4,006 Meal Plan Savings (Helyar meal plan for $1,100 per year as opposed to $5,106 for the 255-meal plan—17 meals per week)
- $7,896 Total Savings Per Year (Fall and Spring Semesters)
Note: Amounts are estimates and subject to change.
Available spaces are limited and based primarily on financial need and a sincere desire to serve others in a cooperative living community. Selected student candidates only will be invited to an orientation that will include student interviews to be scheduled in late June/early July. For further information, please email email@example.com.
You are required to read this section carefully before beginning the online Helyar House Resident Scholarship Application. The application utilizes Qualtrics software. Therefore, the following recommendations are required to be followed for a successful submission of your scholarship application:
- The deadline for submitting your online Helyar House Scholarship Application is no later than Friday, June 2, 2023.
- Please answer all questions. Please note: you must complete all required questions on each page to be able to proceed to the next page of the application.
- Along with a demonstrated ability and sincere desire to serve others in a cooperative living community, an important part of Helyar House selection and application processes includes financial need. All information will be kept confidential and be utilized for your Helyar House scholarship application only. If you do not know the exact answers to the financial aid questions later in the application, please approximate.
- It is strongly recommended that your online application be submitted at one time with your application documents fully completed before. Review carefully the sample copy of the application listed below to help you prepare and complete your documents listed in the "Supplemental Documents" section BEFORE starting your online application.
- Supplemental Documents include a copy of 2023–2024 Award/Financial Aid Information, which can accessed through MyRutgers.
- If you do not complete your application and return back to your online application at another time, you may not be able to return to where you previously left off and you may have to start your application over again. A cell phone cannot be used. It is strongly recommended to complete your application at one time to avoid processing delays.
- Once your application is submitted, it is considered final, and you will not be able to go back and make further changes.
- Use PDF attachments only.
- If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help you prepare your application, here is a sample of the entire application (399k PDF) for your reference Link to the application here . This is a sample only; your application must be submitted online.