Skip Navigation

Information for Incoming Transfer Students

Welcome to the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences! Once you accept the offer of admission, your transcripts are forwarded from the Admissions Office and evaluated to determine transferability and equivalency by the advisors at the Office of Academic Programs.

Transfer credit is granted for coursework with a grade of "C" (2.000) or better completed at an accredited college or university. You can review your transfer evaluation when it has been completed at the Transfer Credit Evaluations portal. The Transfer evaluation will also display updates as we receive new transcripts.

Next Steps

Attend the SEBS Student Transfer Advising and Registration (STAR) Day

New transfer students attend the SEBS Student Transfer Advising and Registration Day to meet with general advisors and faculty in your intended major to discuss your academic plans, learn about your major and degree requirements, and register for classes. Register for an STAR Day from the link on the myRutgers Dashboard.

Complete Placement Tests (if necessary)

Transfer students entering Rutgers without an equivalent Expository writing course must complete the English placement test for Transfer Students. Transfer students entering Rutgers without an equivalent 4-credit math course at the Calculus I or higher level will also be required to take the English and/or Math placement tests for transfer students. New Jersey Community College students may check course equivalencies on Note: Students with SAT verbal scores of 650 or higher will automatically be placed in Expository Writing 01:355:101 and are NOT REQUIRED to complete the English portions of the placement tests.

Transfer student testing information is available at Testing & Placement.

Information for Students Transferring From 4-year Institutions and Non-NJ Community Colleges

Courses from 4-year institutions and non-NJ community colleges often transfer as general electives (TR:T11:EC) until they are evaluated by Rutgers faculty. To have courses evaluated to determine Rutgers equivalents, you will need to complete a Transfer Course Evaluation Form and provide a syllabus from each course.

To Submit a Syllabus for Evaluation

For math courses, see the Department of Mathematics' Transfer Students page.

For writing courses, see the Writing Program's Transfer Equivalency Request page.

For biology courses, see the Division of Life Science's Transfer Questions page.

All other course syllabi should be submitted with the Course Evaluation Form to Please include your name, RUID, the completed Transfer Course Evaluation Form (140k PDF), and syllabus in the email; send a separate email for each course.

Academic departments will review the syllabus, complete the Transfer Course Evaluation Form, and return it to the Office of Academic Programs. Then, the student's evaluation will be updated and the transcript will be adjusted accordingly.

Information for Students Transferring from New Jersey Community Colleges

Students transferring from NJ community colleges should use to review course transferability. If you have any concerns about transfer equivalents from NJTransfer, please contact in the SEBS Office of Academic Programs.

If you have completed your Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree, you may be eligible for the New Jersey Statewide Transfer Agreement.

Additional FAQs About the Transfer Process

Are my transferred grades included in my GPA?

Grades for transfer courses are not included in the student's cumulative grade point average at Rutgers University. Only courses from Rutgers–New Brunswick, Newark, and Camden factor into the GPA.

Is there a maximum number of credits I may transfer?

A maximum number of credits eligible for transfer, beginning Fall 2019, is 60 credits for community college/2-year schools and 90 credits from a 4-year institution. The maximum number of credits transferred is based upon the last institution attended.

Do you accept Advanced Placement (AP) credits and International Baccalaureate (IB) Examinations?

Advanced Placement (AP) scores of 4 and 5 are awarded academic credit in most cases. It is the student's responsibility to submit a copy of their AP scores to the Office of Academic Programs.

Degree credit for International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level will be awarded for scores of 7, 6 & 5. Credit is not awarded for grade of 4 or lower or for Standard-level examinations. IB credits are not included in GPA.

What do I need to graduate?

Beginning Fall 2019, a minimum of 120 credits is required for completion of your degree at our school. Depending on the total credits that are transferred and your program of study, you may graduate with more than 120 credits. See Graduation Requirements for additional requirements.