Skip Navigation

Transfer Credit for Courses in the Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education (CASE)

The Rutgers School of Environmental and Biological Sciences (Rutgers–SEBS) offers transfer credit to students who have successfully completed specific courses at their secondary school that have been certified by the Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education (CASE) and taught by a CASE-certified secondary school teacher. In order for credits to be received, students must be accepted to and matriculated at Rutgers-SEBS; and the secondary school must have an active articulation agreement with Rutgers–SEBS. The list of courses for which credit is offered can be found below, as well as specific conditions that apply to this program and instructions for secondary schools seeking to articulate with Rutgers–SEBS.

Certified CASE Course Taught at Your Secondary School Equivalent Course at Rutgers–SEBS University Credit
CASE Agricultural Science-Animal Animal Science (11:067:142) 3 credits
CASE Agricultural Science-Plant Plants and People (11:776:170) 3 credits
CASE Animal and Plant Biotechnology Concepts and Issues in Biotechnology (11:126:110) 1.5 credits
CASE Environmental Science Issues Issues in Environmental Pollution (11:035:268) 2 credits
CASE Food Science and Safety Science of Food (11:400:103) 3 credits
CASE Natural Resources and Ecology Principles of Natural Resource Management (11:216:217) 3 credits

For Secondary Schools Seeking to Articulate with Rutgers–SEBS

Any secondary school that teaches one or more CASE courses may request an articulation agreement with Rutgers–SEBS. An active articulation agreement is required for students from your secondary school to obtain transfer credits for CASE courses taken.

The details and conditions for transfer credit can be viewed on the Articulation Agreement (49k Word file).

Rutgers is now using DocuSign to process initial CASE articulation agreements and annual renewals. Please email your school's official name; address; and the names, titles, and email addresses of your two lead school administrators, one of whom must be the district superintendent, to Stacey Pontoriero (

Please alert your school administrators to expect a digital signature request.

For Students Applying for CASE Transfer Credits

Students may receive up to 15.5 transfer credits at Rutgers–SEBS for specific CASE courses taken at their secondary school prior to matriculating at Rutgers–SEBS. Before requesting transfer credits from Rutgers–SEBS be sure to ask your CASE teacher whether your secondary school has an active Articulation Agreement with Rutgers–SEBS.

You are eligible to receive transfer credit for the courses listed above if there is an active Articulation Agreement with Rutgers–SEBS and you have completed secondary school with a grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 GPA scale) and you are admitted to Rutgers–SEBS within 4 years after graduation from secondary school.

If all of these conditions apply then complete the Credit Request Form (32k Word file) and have it signed by your secondary school representative. Then, after you arrive on campus at Rutgers–SEBS, present the form to:

Stacey Pontoriero
Program Coordinator
Office of Academic Programs
School of Environmental and Biological Sciences
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
88 Lipman Drive, Room 109
New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901-8525

Two students in a hole sampling soil.
Future Agricultural Science Educators Adam D'Angelo and David Hlubik study soil horizons at the Rutgers School of Environmental and Biological Sciences in the course 11:375:453 Soil Ecology. (Photo by Dr. Jeffra Schaefer.)

Should You Be an Agricultural Educator?

If you love agriculture, enjoy working with plants and animals, and relish the opportunity to teach people about the importance of agriculture, then Agricultural Science Education is the career for you.

Learn More About Agricultural Science Education